Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Meet Makayla

I was 22 when Makayla was born. And I had no clue what to expect from motherhood. She was my first baby. She taught me everything I know about being a mommy.

Makayla was born with a bi-lateral cleft lip. You can read more about our journey HERE.

Makayla was a chunky baby and toddler. She had this head full of dark curls. You can’t imagine what it would look like in the mornings. She always called it her Kooky Hair.

Makayla also had this big eyes and long lashes. She was just beautiful and sweet. Very affectionate – but also independent. She has always held her own.


For 4 years it was Makayla and I against the world. We have gone through 2 surgeries together, some definite scares…but more than anything, a lot of love. No matter what, she will always be my baby. There was a time when it was just she and I…and that time will always be dear to me. Even though she adores both her sisters, and of course I cherish every moment with all three of them…I am glad Makayla and I knew each other first. I am glad she was the one who taught me from that first moment what a mother’s love is.

I still remember that first night in the hospital. After 2 days of labor and barely any progress, I had had a C-Section at 11pm. We didn’t know about the cleft before Makayla was born. I remember being wheeled back into the recovery room and just sobbing. I felt like I had done something wrong.

I had the nicest nurse. She held me for a long time and just let me cry. Afterwards they took me up to my room. I was still in a fog from the drugs and just pure exhaustion. At some point I fell asleep. When I woke up it was after 3 in the morning. And all I wanted was my baby.

Makayla was up too when the nurse brought her in. We made it an all nighter. She was just beautiful. Very alert from the first moment. And it was like she knew me. Like she knew I was her mommy. There is no better role than that.

Makayla will be 7 next month, which is a very hard thing for me to believe. She is still so independent. And funny, smart and such a girly girl.

She is tall and gorgeous. Still has those big brown eyes and that head full of curls. Of course we have learned to manage it, and she no longer calls it her kooky hair LOL.

Makayla loves to sing and dance. She is good at sports – more athletic than I ever was. She is strong and secure – even at 7, she truly knows who she is. And so do I. She is my first baby. My baby always. My Kayla the Bee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment