Tuesday, September 3, 2013

All The Things We Do Wrong - Fun and Surprising Facts

I came across an article a few weeks ago. It was all about how to apply your make-up – and I realized I was doing it all wrong. I had my “duh” moments as I continued to read the article. And then I started to really think about all the things we do day in and day out. And then I wondered how many other things I was doing wrong? Surprisingly (Not surprising at all) I was doing many things incorrectly. And you may be, too.

Mascara – I LOVE MASCARA! It’s one of the few make-up products I spend a little extra for. The best mascara in the world for me is Benefit Cosmetics They're Real Mascara.
You can snag it from Amazon for around $26.00 dollars. Which is obviously pricier than your drug store. But this mascara gives me the WOW effect I love. And it lasts a long time – it’s doesn’t get gunky and gross as quickly as cheaper brands do.

Now how to apply it? First off don’t pump the wand in and out of the bottle. It makes the mascara dry out faster. You should just twist the wand around inside the tube. Wipe any excess mascara off the wand when you remove it. Start at the base of your lashes and sweep the wand up and down, applying 2-3 coats.



Perfume – Stop misting yourself ladies because we are doing it wrong. Perfume should be applied at our pulse points – inner wrists, behind our ear lobes, behind our knees, inner elbows, ankles, cleavage and the base of our throat. Only spray or dab a bit of perfume at each pulse point. And make sure your skin is moisturized. Perfume is absorbed much quicker in dry skin.

Want to try a sexy scent that lasts all day? I love Still by Jennifer Lopez

The sent is intoxicating and after a long day I can still smell it on my skin.


Foundation – So I was an all over kind of gal. But apparently I was doing too too much. True coverage starts with a primer. Dry skin and foundation do not mix. So make sure you are well hydrated, your skin is moisturized and you prime right before application.

Apply a dot of foundation on your cheeks, forehead and the tip of your nose with a make sponge, brush or your fingertip. Blend well and then set foundation with a loose powder.

For light and airy coverage I use Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse

Eyeliner – I like a bit of drama when it comes to eye make-up. Eyeliner is my go to make-up for that.

For your upper lashes you should choose a dark color, browns, grays and blacks. For your bottom lashes choose a lighter variation of that color. When applying to your top lashes you want to get as close to your lash line as possible. Apply liner between every eyelash. Yes…every one. Then for your bottom lash, you should only apply color to the outer two-thirds of your eye.

When choosing eyeliner, go for a waterproof formula. I prefer a pencil verses liquid – but that’s just personal preference. You can get the same great affects from pencils, gels and liquids.

A great eyeliner to try is Avon Glimmersticks Waterproof Eyeliner
You get great precision, lasting color and a price tag of around $5.75 at Amazon.

Nail Polish – Best applied on clean nails. Remove any old polish. Wash your hands thoroughly in warm, soapy water and then let air dry.

Apply two thin coats of nail polish. Before each application, swipe the nail brush on the rim of the bottle on both sides. You don’t want excess polish on your brush as you paint your nails.

Brush each nail 3 times – once in the middle and then once on each side to completely cover each nail with polish. Repeat steps for the second coat.

Let nails dry completely before applying a clear polish top coat to seal in your color. You really don’t need a base coat.

Laundry – Dirt and oil can make shirt collars look really grimy. They should be pre-treated with an old paint brush and some shampoo. Just paint a line over the soiled area before washing.

Clothes really should be washed in cool water. It prolongs the life of them.

You should be washing your clothes turned inside out.

Make sure you have removed a stain before putting the clothes into the dryer. The heat from the dryer will set the stain and it will be almost impossible to get out.

Sleep – 6 hours is just not going to cut it. Adults need 7.5 to 9 hours of sleep per night. Our bodies need it. Signs of sleep deprivation include needing an alarm clock to wake up, hitting the snooze button, needing to take a nap mid-day, feeling sluggish in the afternoons and falling asleep at night within 5 minutes of hitting the sack.

And it doesn’t help much to sleep in on the weekends. Yea, we are making up some of that loss sleep. But our bodies get out of sleep/wake sync.

Washing Your Hair – So I am thankful most days that I have the time and energy to wash my hair at all. But it turns out my 1 minute wash may need a little upgrade. Try a 4 minute one. Yep…you should be washing your hair for a good 5 minutes 3-4 times per week.

Conditioning Your Hair – Hair should not be soaking wet. Kind of ironic since you should have just washed it. Just ring out your strands with your hands and apply conditioner. Start at your ends and work your way up. Conditioner needs a good 3-5 minutes in your hair before washing it out. Use cool or lukewarm water when rinsing (But I like my water hot).

Cleaning House – Start with the bathroom. It’s usually the dirtiest job so why not get it over with. (I actually already live by this rule.) Go ahead and put your toilet bowel cleaner around the rim. Give it time to sit as you clean the rest of the bathroom.

Time for the kitchen. Put a bowel of vinegar and water in the microwave (I always used just water, but this works even better.) Cook on high 3 minutes and then wipe the microwave down.All that icky stuff will come right off.

Dust everywhere before you vacuum. Knock down cobwebs. Wipe down tables, fixtures, baseboards and then cabinets. Then vacuum away.

How surprised where you guys by some of these?

0 comments:

Post a Comment