Sunday, May 26, 2013

Meet Leah

When I got pregnant with my second child I was in the middle of a lot of changes. I had lost my job, my home and my security. It had been a rough few months, and I hadn’t planned on mixing a new baby into all that. My boyfriend Dustin and I hadn’t been dating that long – even though we had known one another our whole lives. It still felt too new and too soon. Too uncertain. But God had other plans.

My second sonogram the doctor told me it was a boy. I was pretty excited. Deep down I had secretly hoped it would be a girl. But I knew having a boy would be a whole new adventure.

Dustin has a job in a restaurant. It was only part time. And we had moved in with his mother. Things were tight. Money was tight. I couldn’t find a job and by my second trimester I didn’t think it would even make sense to start working anywhere.

We had a wonderful baby shower. I got so much stuff. Tons of little blue baby clothes. A green pack and play. A brown car seat. My friends and family were pretty excited. I was as well.


My doctor scheduled me for a C-section at 39 weeks. Since I had already had one with Makayla, they recommended one with this child.

Dustin and I were both nervous. Yea, I had done this before…but it had been over 4 years and you can forget how scary it can be. But the good thing about a planned C-section is that it’s over before you know it. We already had a name picked out…Cameron. And then we heard the baby cry and we both teared up. And my doctor said, “Congratulations! It’s a girl!”

A girl?? Let me tell you, Leah was the biggest and best surprise I ever had.

So of course Leah wore a lot of blue as a baby. Which matched her crystal blue eyes. We weren’t sure what color her hair would be since she was pretty much bald. I called her my little old man LOL. But the nickname that really stuck was Dew. I have called her Dew every since she was born.

Leah’s hair turned out to be red, which is very appropriate. She is definitely a firecracker. She will be 3 this summer, and she is everything a 2-year-old is supposed to be and then some LOL.

Leah has a temper. But she can be the sweetest child. She is amazingly smart. Her vocabulary truly astounds me. It’s funny because she was a lazy baby…she didn’t crawl until she was 1 and didn’t walk until 16 months! But the thing about Leah is she does something on her terms and in her own time.

Leah is funny and full of energy. She has these beautiful red curls and these big eyes that you could get lost in. She reminds me a summer girl…like she belongs in California on the beach at all times. She would love that actually since she loves to be outside at all times.

When Leah was 1 she had a Febrile Seizure. I didn’t have any clue what was happening. One minute she was singing and dancing to Yo Gabba Gabba, the next minute she hit the floor…hard. I can’t forget those moments of helplessness. She was completely out of it – her eyes glazed over. Her mouth clamped shut. She was unresponsive. It seemed like years until the ambulance came. I was hysterical. I had tried everything to get her to respond. I had even attempted CPR and the Heimlich maneuver because I had no clue what was happening. And there was this awful moment when I thought…Is she dying?

They put Leah in the ambulance and the whole drive there I just watched her. She had closed her eyes but the medic assured me she was breathing…he had her hooked up to the machine. Then we pulled into the hospital. I got out first as they started to take Leah in. And then…she started crying. It was the best sound I had ever heard because it told me she was here…she was okay.

It turns out Febrile seizures are pretty common and not life threatening. I wish I had known that then. I wish for every parent to know more about them. So I wrote a post HERE.

I know that moment bonded Leah and I even more. It reminded me how precious life is. How each day and each moment is a blessing.

Leah has not had another seizure since that night. She is the picture of health. A rambunctious 2 year old – ready to take on the world it seems. She is here…and always will be. I love her so much. She’s my Dew.

0 comments:

Post a Comment