Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dinner Rolls Recipe


We are big bread eaters in my house. I personally grew up always having bread with dinner. And if you cut out your bread during the day – you can really enjoy it with dinner without worrying about carbs or calories.

For many years I purchased dinner rolls at about $3.00 a tube – popped them out and cooked them with dinner. They were good – but I never imagined how good homemade could be. Not to mention, I spend around $1 dollar making them from scratch.

On my baking day, I usually make about 3 batches of rolls. I shape the dough, individually quick freeze them and them bagged them and put them in our big freezer. This way, I have rolls all week if I need them. I just take them out of the freezer the night before, and they are ready to bake and enjoy with the dinner the following night.





Dough

(I put all my ingredients in my bread machine, wet ingredients first. Then I choose the dough cycle. It takes about 1 ½ hours. But you can also mix by hand or with a stand mixer and let the dough rise for about an hour.)

1 Cup of water plus 1 tablespoon water

1 large egg

1 tablespoon Shortening (This is optional, but it definitely adds to the flakiness.)

4 ½ teaspoons vegetable oil

3 ¼ cups Flour

1 packet instant yeast

¼ cup sugar

1 ½ teaspoons salt

A squirt of honey (optional, but I love it!)

Once the dough is ready, you want to form your rolls. I just roll mine into dough balls and then lightly press the middle in. I usually can get 12-15 rolls out of one batch.

Go ahead and preheat your oven to 350. I spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and then place my rolls on it. I usually cover with a dish towel and let the dough rise a little more while I wait for my oven to heat up.

Note: If you are going to freeze some rolls for later, do an Individual Quick Freeze for about 2 hours. Then sort out 6-8 rolls into Ziploc bags and store in freezer.

Once your oven is heated, pop your rolls in. Cook them for about 8mins. Then I pull them out and spread butter over each roll. I placed them back in the oven for another 6-7mins – until they are starting to brown.

They have such a light and flaky taste. The butter melted into them is amazing! I have tried a few other roll recipes – but this by far is a family favorite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment